“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?…your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel unsure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory…that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
(erroneously credited to Nelson Mandela)
It’s a New Year and this is a time where people like to set goals. I’d like to support you in reaching your goals, so please fill out the questions below and bring them to your next lesson. Remember, a goal should be SMART.
2015 VOCAL GOALS
Type or write on another sheet of paper, your responses to these questions. Be as detailed as possible.
1. On a scale of 1-10, what would I rate myself last year as far as productivity went towards my goals as a singer/artist.
2. List 5-10 things I accomplished last year.
3. List 3 things I want to accomplish this year as a singer that are in alignment with my values.
4. On a scale of 1-10, how close am I to having my voice where I want to be? (10 = closest)
5. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the loudest) how loud is my negative inner dialogue?
6. On a scale of 1-10, how much do I enjoy listening back to myself recorded? (10 is most)
7. On a scale of 1-10, if I am singing in front of an audience, how much am I will to just let go and “surrender to the flow”? (10 is freest)
8. Where do I want my instrument to be one year from now? (How will my voice be different?)
9. What area of my instrument needs the most work? (Think of your instrument = MIND, SOUL, VOICE)
10. What are 2-3 tools I have learned from Dot or this website, that I can use to get me where I need to be a year from now? (Think of CORE tools you’ve been given, drills, peaceful agreements, thought patterns, etc).
11. What is one useful habit that I can integrate daily in order to allow me to reach my vocal destination?
12. When am I willing to integrate this habit and how often? (Be specific about how much time you’d like to commit per day/week, etc.)